Customer Dennis Hunt came by one day to pick up some Puddle Jumpers. Dennis does a lot of crappie fishing and asked me if we knew how to put a weed guard on a jig head cheap and easy. When we said we didn’t, he shared his technique.
Making a Weed Guard
- Purchase some soft, easy-to-bend wire. A flower shop, Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby will most likely have what you need.
- Cut the wire a little long so it will be easier to work with.
- Example: A 1/16 oz. jig will need about 3-4 inches of wire. A bigger jig may need stiffer wire.
- Wrap the wire around keeper a couple of turns, then up and around the eye.
- Bring the wire back to the hook point and cut off to correct length.
You can still hang up but the weed guard helps a lot. The wire doesn’t seem to bother the action and bends easily when a fish bites.